Sunday, May 5, 2013

Peanut Allergy Treatment

     I have posted before about my Daughter having a peanut allergy. I am so excited and thrilled, we have the opportunity to be involved in a clinic study for her allergy. Whats even more amazing about this, is that there isn't a Doctor out here in over 800 miles within our home that is doing this study. We literally are just driving down the street.

     My daughter is thrilled. She keeps telling me she can't wait to be able to eat peanuts. She feels like she will soon not be left out anymore. Although it isn't approved by the FDA this treatment has had great results with those involved. The Doctor set us all down and spent an hour and a half going over the treatment, the pros and cons of the treatment, and answered all our questions. He told us that he finally decided to do this at his clinic mainly because, if his child was in this situation he would want this for them. He feels that he now has been educated on this coarse of treatment to the point where he finally feels comfortable doing this.

     The scary part about not doing this treatment, is my child having a severe reaction when I am not around. I have heard of too many cases where a child was accidentally fed peanuts and has died. I feel that trying something like this would be safer than not trying anything at all. At least if she were to have a reaction during this treatment her  Doctor, whom I trust and have been seeing for years, will be there to assist in a clinic setting.

     There are a number of studies out there for people with peanut allergies. The study we will be doing is,  Oral Immunotherapy. Basically they take microscopic amounts of the peanut and mix it in a solution and over a series of 5-7 months gradually increase until she will be eating a total of 16 peanuts a day without a reaction. Once she reaches the 16 peanut marker they will test her with food in the clinic, and if she has no reaction then we will do maintenance. Maintenance  means,  for the first 6 months after she must eat roughly 16 peanuts a day. After that she must eat 8 peanuts a day for the rest of her life. They did say she could eat stuff like peanut m&ms for her daily dose, so it will be easy for me to get her to eat them. She will also be able to eat an unlimited number of peanuts after that required dose with zero reaction.


     I am still learning a lot about this study. So far, everything I've heard is good. I know during this program there will be reactions the doctor told me these will most likely be mild.  It will however, be nice to have one less thing to worry about when she starts going to school.

     Wish us luck! If anyone knows anything about this study please feel free to comment. Like I said,  I am still learning about this. It sure sounds exciting though.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear if this works. I know this allergy seems to be hitting more and more kids so good to know some good ways of handling it are coming about.

    Four more days left in the May giveaway; A new blog design!Our Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will keep updates on my blog through the treatment.

      Delete
  2. This is fascinating. I find allergies so scary. My mom developed a seafood allergy late in life. One day, she was fine eating shrimp, the next, she had a seizure. I hope the therapy works! I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope it works too, Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. This is incredible! I look forward to hearing how things go, and the outcome for your daughter! Sounds like it was meant to be, since it happens to be right by your home! Good luck!

    Thanks for linking up each week on Motivational Monday! Love the name of your blog, cute and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating. I just finished 48 months of injection immunology, and while sometimes i don't feel a difference and still have some symptoms, I can fully function again.
    I look forward to hearing how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will try to keep a weekly report on it as soon as it starts up. Which should be in the next couple weeks.

      Delete
  5. Sound therapy is popularizing these days because it is a very efficient and 100% natural therapy which has no side effects. Sound therapy can not only be used in such cases but can heal lung diseases, cancer, Allergy etc. There is no doubt the power of Sound Healing and positive thinking is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post about peanut allergy treatment .Get more advice from drsniffles and diagnoses all type of allergies

    ReplyDelete